March 20, 2014

AWKWARD SIZED FRAMES

A few months ago I had purchased these 20" x 20" Ribba frames from Ikea. When I purchased them, I failed to realize how difficult it would be to find a phot processing center that would print off square portaits (11.5" x 11.5" with the matting). I thought about printing a much larger poster size image and crop them on my own at home, however, I was too cheap to spend $28 to print four posters not to mention, I didn't know how they would look after making the adjustments. What if it didn't work? What if the pictures didn't look the way i had hoped after cutting them up? Suddenly, as if a light bulb illuminated over my head, I had an idea! Calenders were just the right size and to put the cherry on top, it was February so they would be on sale. I went to my local book store and purchased a vintage New York calender for $3. I chose this perticular calender because it was vintage New York and that happens to be my favourite city. Also it was black and white, making it look more clean, crisp and not like i spend $3 on them. I cut out the pictures out, then placed them in my fames and there you have it folks!

2 comments:

  1. Totally genius idea, LOVE it! Thanks so much for sharing!! I ended up printing the photos from Adorama in 12x12 size, so a little rim around the edge is covered but it's ok. It's a professional print shop so great quality. I want to say it was like $4 a print. Then $7 to ship all 4. Still about $24 but no cutting required. I still LOVE this calendar idea. I was looking for some artwork I could display around my home that's no by myself (since the only thing I take pictures of are my kids, haha!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I will have to give Adorama a look!

      Delete