September 14, 2013

I'M HEADING BACK TO SCHOOL

I thought I was done with college. There was nothing, not anything, that anyone could say our do to send me back. Not even a team of wild horses could drag me there.

I had Joshua rather young in life and before I had him I didn't really take things seriously, thinking that I had all the time in the world. After I had him I said to myself,  hey girl, you need a career and you need one now! So it was off to school for me and this time I would pick something career specific.


I took the Law Clerk program mostly because  I could complete it in two years and then work as a legal secretary...those people made good money with experience.  I completed that in less than two years since I went straight through the summer. After graduation I decided, why not just become a Paralegal? That way I could take my own cases and make even more money, not to mention it would only take me an extra year since I had so many transfer credits from the Law Clerk program.  Halfway through I got pregnant with Lucas. Me and my ever expanding belly trotted on to campus every day because I was determined to finished this program as soon as possible. Eventually I decided to take time off so that I could stay home and rest and have my baby. A few months after Lucas was born I found a job in the Legal field working for a Landlord corporation which forced me to put my little 3 month old in daycare. It was a heart breaking moment and I felt awful. Joshua didn't have to go to daycare until he was 19 months old and I wanted the same for Lucas, but unfortunately life was not cheap, bills had to be paid.

I hated my job. I hated every minute of every day. My sole purpose was to evict people that were diliquent on their rent. You can imagine the phone calls that I received constantly throughout the day: 

"Please!" the woman begged. "I'm a single mother and I have 5 kids. My husband left me and he's not coming back. I can't even afford to buy my kids juice!"

That was over $120 and there was nothing that I could do about it, the Landlords were pressuring me to get them out. Needless to say I quit my job 4 months in. I realize that people can't live for free but it wasn't something that made me feel good as a person. I'm a big softy! So I was unemployed for a while but that was alright as Aaron was making more money at that point. I got to stay home with Lucas and Joshua for while. I was a stay at home mom for about a year and half and it had its highs and lows but I was happy to be there for my boys, especially Lucas since he was the baby.

At night I went back to school in order to complete the last few classes that I had left of the Paralegal program. After I finally graduated the only job that I could find was working part time doing retail working around Aarons schedule. Finally I landed a full time job working at the same company that Aaron does (different department and different floor). Aaron and I reached a whole new level of financial stability that I was so greatful for. I love this company and I love my job but of course I want to move up to high positions.  Well being that I work for a company that provides support for various University across the North America, they have this amazing benefit..they will pay for my education at any one of the various schools that they support. So the first chance I got, I put my name on the waiting list and six months later I was selected to enter a program that would allow me to complete my Bachelor's degree! Folks, Mama's going back to school in two weeks! I feel a mix of excited, scared, anxious and curios all wrapped up in one. I know this will be an amazing experience and great investment for my furture.

All of this reminds me of this post. I do want so much for my life and for my family and I just may be able to have everything I want but it might just take me more time to get there, but the great thing is, I am super patient!

4 comments:

  1. I was one of those gals who had to work hard for everything in my life. I paid for my college education, paid for my wedding, etc. My parents weren't able to help much but I didn't mind since they were never short on love to give. It taught me to value everything to a greater degree, and realize that my life's choices could have outcome and positive results if I worked for it. I still am working hard so that I can be a full time momma one day. You will get to your goals...you have the determined spirit you need:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. luckily I have supportive parents that helped out when they could but knowing that I had to make a life on my own (with my husband of course) was the biggest motivation and it gave me a whole new outlook on life. I am so glad for the hard moments I went through because it makes me appreciate the life I have now

      Delete
  2. Aww I'm so happy for you! It will be a lot on your plate but it's so exciting. And you can't beat getting a free education! And I would've been the same way if I had a job like you had, that would be rough :/ Have you decided what you're going to major in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know! I am so scared as to how I will space out my time but I will just have to find that extra time somewhere lol. Im majoring in Business Management, I didnt really get much of a choice as it had to be relatable to what I actually do which is fine.

      Delete